Christmas is a Christian celebration, which is about the birth of Jesus Christ.
Long time ago, Christians only celebrated Jesus’ death and resurrection: Easter. It was later on that they would decide to start celebrating Jesus’ birth too.
They selected a day to do it, which has been December 25th for many centuries now.
What the Bible Says about Jesus’s Birth
Jesus coming into the world, as a baby, was not something that happened like your birth and mine. His birth was foretold.
Prophets and lots of people foreknew and foretold the coming of the Christ.
The Messiah had to come and put on flesh (incarnation). That was God’s plan for Jesus Christ to come.
Isaiah, one of the four major prophets in Israel, spoke about the coming of the Messiah.
In a way, he spoke about Christmas, the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He spoke about the reason why people gather for worship on Christmas eve.
Here’s what the prophet told people about the Messiah:
- He would be born as a baby. See Isaiah 53: 1-2.
- He was to take the most humble human state you could ever imagine.
- He was to take upon Himself our rejections, griefs, sorrows, afflictions, transgressions, iniquities and illnesses. See Isaiah 53: 3-5.
- He would die in our place.
Isaiah goes on to say that, Jesus, the baby to be born, the Son of God, would go through it all to “bring us peace … and with his wounds we are healed.” See Isaiah 53: 5.
People thought they had broken Him. But, all that was a part of God’s plan to draw you and I back to God.
In another place, still in the book of Isaiah, the prophet speaks of Jesus Christ as the Prince of Peace.
Listen to the audio recording
Not only Jesus is the Prince of Peace, Jesus is also called the:
- Wonderful Counselor.
- Mighty God.
- Everlasting Father. See Isaiah 9: 6.
The Significance of Jesus’ Birth for Us Today
With that in mind, the way, Isaiah portrayed Jesus, makes Jesus Christ UnBreakable.
- No one can stop God’s plan through Jesus Christ.
- You can’t break God’s gift we now receive through faith in Jesus Christ.
No one was able to stop or cancel the birth of God’s Son.
The plan for our salvation, redemption, healing and forgiveness was to take place.
- All that is because it was God doing it.
- God was to fulfill what He had promised through God’s prophets.
- God did it because God cares for each one of you.
Jesus Christ is the only Way.
Jesus was, is and will always be the PLAN. He was and will continue to be the only option for us to receive what we’ve lost.
With Jesus’ birth, death and resurrection, we experience the following:
- God can claim us as God’s own children.
- We have access to God’s UnBreakable gifts: hope, love, joy, peace.
Through Jesus Christ, the UnBreakable gift of God, we are now free.
And, this freedom is:
- From sin.
- To be who God wants us to be in life.
- To love and serve God.
- To forgive, love and serve each other.
Why celebrate Christmas? Why celebrate Jesus Christ’s birth?