Every one of us has a calling in life!
This is another in the series, Christ is Risen: SO WHAT?
The foundation for our calling
The foundation for our calling could come from what Peter said to the Church once, “You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light” (1 Peter 2: 9, ESV).
There are 3 things that define our calling.
We are a chosen race
God chose you and I. God made us belong to God’s race.
According to John 1: 12, those who believe and receive the Light (Jesus Christ) receive the power to become children of God.
In the old testament, in order for you to belong to God’s family, you had to be a descendant of Abraham. But, in the new testament, and through faith in Jesus Christ, any one can become a child of God.
Belonging to this chosen race results from the combination of what God has done through Jesus Christ (God’s offer of God’s grace) and our faith in God’s grace (our response to God calling).
We are a royal priesthood
Becoming a royal priesthood represents two offices in one. In the old testament, kingship was viewed as one office that was different from being a priest.
But, when Jesus came, He brought the two offices into one: God’s royal priesthood.
All this has been made possible through Jesus Who is at the same time Lord of lords, King of kings (Revelation 17: 14) and High Priest (Hebrews 5: 5,6).
Through faith in Jesus Christ, we have become members of God’s Kingdom now and in the life to come.
We are therefore called to share Christ’s Kingdom with everyone in prayer and through our relationships.
We are a holy nation
We are a holy nation because we belong to God’s family.
Belonging to God’s family means the following:
- We have repented from sinful living.
- We have a common will. We share in the same purpose and command God has given us: to make disciples of all nations. See Matthew 28: 16-20.
- We have a common mind. This is the mind that was in Jesus Christ
Here’s what all this means for us
3 things you should know about God’s calling in your life
- God wants to be known to the world through you and me.
- God has called you to lead others in worship of God.
- God wants you to have a lifestyle that shows it is possible to overcome sin.
Our calling is to be the Church of God. Check out this video below to watch how someone creatively describes his calling and our calling as the Church.
Always remember this when it comes to God’s calling in life
- Every human has a calling in life. You just have to discover it. And, when you do, you’ll stand out as a Christian and find meaning in life.
- Your calling isn’t found anywhere else rather than in you. Before you were formed in your Mother’s womb, there was already a mission and an identity God had already meant for you to be and do in your life. Read Jeremiah 1: 5.
- Don’t confuse your calling with your passions and roles you play in your everyday living. What you do does not define who you are. But, who you are is what should define what you do.
Bringing it together
You are a very special person, created and placed here on earth for a very unique mission. You are a part of God’s Church that has been called to let all other people know about God. Jesus Christ empowers you to be and do so through your personal relationship with God.
Listen to the full audio sermon by clicking below.
One way you could let God make Himself known to others is by sharing this post. Also, I want to hear from you. Leave a comment in the box below. What’s your calling in life? How did you come to discover it?