5 Things You Should Know About Your Calling
Perhaps, a starting point could be about answering this question: What’s your calling in life?
This is a question you probably also ask yourself at times.
Reflecting on calling in life came up during a trip I had with my daughters to Moline, IL. It was over a 5-hour drive. The girls had their iPods while I was listening to the radio. Throughout our journey, as you are aware of when you’re not talking much, I spent lots of hours reflecting on my life. One of the themes that came up was: “what’s my true calling in life?”
I know what comes to your mind about me. You probably know that I serve as a pastor. And, of course, you would say: “well, it seems like you’ve figured it out.”
For over a few weeks now I am being coached through a school that trains coaches. What has transpired through this process is that serving as a pastor is just a part of my calling in life.
People retire from serving as pastors. They also can get to a point they cannot physically or emotionally do it any longer.
But, no one will ever retire from their calling.
Let me tell you 5 things about your calling in life. These will help you grasp the meaning of a calling in life.
Every human being has a calling in life.
- A calling in life isn’t something you do. It is who you are.
- Every human being is meant for something. It is your destiny. This is something you were made for, and which you are to accomplish here on earth.
- Whether you’re on earth for a few days, months or years, you’re here for a specific reason. And, that’s your calling.
Your calling isn’t found anywhere else rather than in you.
- Your calling isn’t something people can give you.
- Your calling is in you. You have to uncover it.
- Your calling is God-given potential that you’ve had since your birth. I love this scripture in Jeremiah 1:5, “before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
Your calling isn’t a passion, but who you truly are.
- Your calling isn’t only about what you love.
- Your calling defines and gives shape to what you love in life.
- Your calling eliminates distractions so that you can focus on what most matters to you.
Your calling is more than just roles you play in life.
- Your calling defines the roles in life that you’ve got to play.
- Your calling simplifies your life.
- Your calling empowers you to be effective in every role you play in your daily living.
Discovering your calling will help you stand out.
- When you know who you truly are, you will also realize that you’re unique.
- You will find out that you have a specific mission here on earth that no one else has.
- You will discover potential that is unique and special.
Yes, that’s all about what I can say concerning a calling in life and what this entails. In a future post, I will share on practical steps to help you discern your calling in life. So, let’s stay in touch.
A question for you: “how would you define your calling in life?” I want to learn from you. Please, share in the comment box.